It's a Ball

Play by post Amber game, now in progress
Sadie
Lunatic

It's a Ball

Post by Sadie »

This is a ball, long meaningful conversations (see the Priscilla introductions in my threads) are unlikely to happen. Though a lot of meaningful things can be said quickly. This is a for place mingling and talking to many several people. I would suggest every PC make an attempt to be passed or pass themselves off to each other pc at some point. And yes guy with guy, girl with girl is perfectly acceptable and not that unusual. The dance floor is really quite a chain of gossip as people pass themselves off to who they want to talk to. If not comfortable with that, then when the other person stops for refreshments go there.

If a topic really important and long comes up, is generally best to take it to refreshments, though as said, this is about mingling, so try to avoid overmuch of this type of thing. NPCs are as good to talk to as PCs, and if Josh doesn't mind it, I'd suggest PC's make a random not necessarily complicated NPC to bump into people at the ball and role play them as well. Helps add to the atmosphere and bring the ball alive as well as take some pressure of Josh.

Also this is a social event, if you see a pc being a wall flower over in refreshments, welp make note of it, tell someone else, and then once enough of us are in the know, well peer pressure is a bitch.

For Josh: I'd suggest breaking the ballroom itself into 5 threads maybe 6. Not counting the introductory one.

1st thread: The Refreshments Table

2nd Thread: Dance Floor A,

3rd Thread: Dance Floor B,

4th Thread: Dance Floor C,

5th Thread: Dance Floor D,

6th Thread: Those Chair things Josh Mentioned

No dance floor can have more than 4 PCs at a time (though any number of appropriate level of NPCs is allowed. No these are not actually separate dance floors, each section represent a relative closeness of the PCs involved so as they can meaningfully communicate as a group. At any point you can switch to a different floor at which point you break communication with the other floor. The reason for the PC number restriction is to force PCs to spread out a bit more. I also suggest forced passing at least a couple times throughout the ball. (Basically Inform everyone ooc to find a new partner at specific times (this also requires groups of dancing PCs to split up, assume the dance required it or something, it happens) At any point a person can drop off the floor and find the refreshment tables or chairs, don't stay there too long though.

The reason for 4 dance "floors", is it allows pc partners to dance and communicate together mostly privately, or include another couple in their conversation.

These are all my suggestions though, any other ideas are welcome, take them or leave them. In the end it's up to Josh what we do, and up to you to decide how much interacting you wish to partake in. I know I look forward to meeting every PC who's player is available, twice if possible since I already come with a ready made NPC...
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: It's a Ball

Post by Wyvern »

I'll admit, I'd imagined a more... stately setup, where people would pick partners for a dance - allowing any pair of PCs or PC + NPC to declare "May I have this dance?" and split off a thread.

Perhaps we can do both - some of the dances are more active & function the way you've described, and some of them function as (relatively) private threads.

Probably best to try and run all (or at least most) such threads in parallel - while this may cause occasional issues with "Oh, if I'd known X when talking to Y I would've said something different", I think the ability to keep the scenes moving is more important.
Sadie
Lunatic

Re: It's a Ball

Post by Sadie »

That is largely what is happening I just used passing as simply terminology, the whole idea is that different dances are starting and stopping as time goes on. The whole reason for multiple floors is to allow for multiple one on ones, to two on two's, without a separate thread for every two people. Want privacy move yourself and your partner to an unoccupied dance floor. This largely allows for you to control your pacing and at the same because all this is going on currently everything stays cohesive and timely. There is no, what came first. Slower dance floors one can assume the participates concentrated more on dance and less on talking.

All threads at the same time and you only know what goes on in one thread when you are in it. There's no need to officiate every single dance. If you want to assume the dance ended and another started when you decided to pass, that's fine, it's ultimately irrelevant.

There's no reason for 15 million threads, I'm pretty sure this can be arranged with less bulk by having a set number that people pop into and out of.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."