Suggestions and Help

Play by post Amber game, now in progress
Joshua
Gibbering

Suggestions and Help

Post by Joshua »

So, this is my first forum game. Some of you have been in forum games before, well-run and poorly-run. So, Any advice you have for me or the other players, feel free to post here.

I think my big advice for everyone is: Get to know the other players a touch. Message them if you have questions. While the world of Amber is cutthroat, the OOC aspect of the game is inclusive and cooperative.

Another thought: This is an ensamble game. It's unlikely the entirety of it will stand united against a single foe. Again, that's just not what Amber is about. I hope to give everyone time to shine, even if it's in back alleys where other's don't find out about it until years later. (Of course, they can always read the thread to find out what parts of the awesome they are missing.) I think my goal is to have groups of 2 - 4 players that constantly shift, break up and reform.

Speaking of Gaming: It's next to impossible to die in Amber. It's also impossible to die by random chance. (Unless you sold an attribute down to human.) You're a pulp action hero and the story is about you. Enjoy it.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Re: Suggestions and Help

Post by coldcandor »

Speaking as someone that has never played a forum game before, very rarely Roleplayed (even in tabletop RPG games, I typically did more stat counting and strategic combat than anything), and was very daunted at the idea of joining this - You've done a great job getting me up to speed and willing to dive in, and so far everything looks well thought out. I look forward to things really getting underway!
Solten
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

This is my first forum game as well, so we're all learning together. Just jump in with both feet and we'll see where it takes us. :)
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

I think as a forum game certain assumptions and acceptances need to be made. One is that due to pacing, normal back and forths do not work effectively. What is a one minute back and forth in the real world could last from a few days to a month of forum posts.

As such certain things should be considered. How much can you communicate in a single post, anticipate what else you may want to say or ask. If you have questions, ask all of them. Don't be afraid to anticipate an answer. Example: Did you end up killing him? If so how did you get away with, there were plenty of witnesses.
At which point they can answer the first question and clarify if they did not, or answer the question clarify.

When you do answer the question, don't be afraid to clarify as much as you are willing to answer and don't be upset if they have their character interrupt your post, and also don't be afraid to interrupt a post yourself. Post as much as you can, be creative with it make your character shine. Your post is your baby, it's where you really get to put your character out there. Is a one sentence question really going to do that? How about a one sentence answer? Well ok, Jack Sparrows "Pirate" line was perfect, very few one sentence answers are that good.

For example, I make lots of assumptions, and have my characters do a lot in a post. At any point I want no one to feel afraid to say, "Actually when you do that I" and cut my post right there with their own actions. If no one interrupts, great we've covered a lot, if they do it's likely because other interactions are taking place meaningful ones. That said, interrupting someone is kind of rude, most people don't do it. They wait till a person has said their piece and then ask questions afterwards. In a forum likely all of them at once.

If explaining something explain the whole thing, don't post part of it, wait for others to say they don't respond, then post more and do the same. Most people won't waste their time saying "I don't say anything please continue."

All this being said, if you do something drastic like say walking up and grabbing someones chin to stare them in the eyes, don't be surprised if they interrupt and if someone does the same to you, don't be afraid to interrupt, or just go with it. Maybe saying how your character's body language reacts to what they do. Two separate posts can occur at the same time or slightly off.

Not sure if a lot of this is making sense or not, but noticed forum games seem to have pacing problems and am trying to help.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

I'm not so much afraid of interrupting someone, as afraid that interruptions and changing posts will result in annoyance and confusion, either making it hard to read if left as-is, or always having to re-read to be sure nothing had to get edited. Picture a movie being played, where every so often someone in your watching group says "Hold on!", hits stop, rewinds a few seconds or minutes, then hits play again, only now it's different. I don't know about other people, but I have no doubt that I'll recall these "alternate timelines" as things that actually did happen somewhere down the road.

Also, making assumptions like that can influence other's decisions (I have a hard time thinking outside of what I've already read, for example).

That said, it's easy to see how simple back and forths can get tedious and lengthy (Just take the card game that never ended). I'm thinking some sort of middle ground is needed.
Solten