How my party got themselves exiled via ice cream.

Discussion about random stuff. Keep it vaguely PG-13, please.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

How my party got themselves exiled via ice cream.

Post by Wyvern »

So, the game is currently set in the country Rakizi, which is notable for considering Necromancy to be legal, granting personhood status to sentient undead, etc. To be fair to them, they got a bit of a bum deal on land / resources, and without tireless undead labour, the living people would not be nearly as numerous or living nearly as well.

One of the PCs, however, has... philosophical objections to the undead. She'd really like to get the party out of this country.

This task has now been accomplished. What did she do? She suggested to one of the other party members that they should visit a friend in the city and bring ice cream.

So, some additional context: the friend in question is one Juno Skolsen, a young (maybe 8 or 9) werewolf and member of the local aristocracy.

Who has been meeting two of the party members (Dubbed "Suspicious Kobold" and "Hat", the latter being a tiny green dragon who has a habit of sitting on people's heads) in "secret" - read, her parents know and had decided not to interfere because it kept her mostly out of trouble.

Unfortunately, the actual responsible one of those characters (suspicious kobold) wasn't along for this trip. And the party's recently acquired faerie dragon was.

Juno, to her visitors: "So where's suspicious kobold?"
The conclusion from the two dragons: "Oh, clearly we should go kidnap him."
Juno saw nothing wrong with this.

...So they do. Which pretty much involves "Hi, we're going to kidnap you now, okay?" ...But suspicious kobold was distracted and not paying enough attention and didn't tell them "No, not okay!" until after they'd already started enacting their plan. At which point the party's wizard - not knowing that "Juno" is nobility, and thinking "okay, there's less risk of anyone getting hurt if we just go along with the crazy", hits the kobold with charm person... thus neatly disabling the only brakes that could possibly have been applied to the impending train-wreck.

Which is why there was a six person ice cream party in the attic of a local noble's household, without any formal invitation or official chaperone...

...Did we mention that werewolves have scent?

Oh, and what the kobold was distracted with? Paperwork, regarding a hydra that surrendered to the party the session before. Who was currently shapeshifted to an elven form... but still smells like a hydra. And, somehow, got invited along.

(The two dragons thought this was a marvelous idea. Neither hydra nor wizard knew that Juno was nobility, or that her family were werewolves. And the one responsible party member was still charmed.)

So when Juno's father smells a hydra in the attic and goes to investigate... the party actually shows some sense for once and hides, using prestidigitation to wipe out most of their scents from the area.

And once he's not in line of sight, Juno books it back downstairs (to receive a stern talking to later and off-camera) and the party leaves.

...But wait, it gets worse.

Because suspicious kobold works for another local noble as a part of the "Order of the Violet Talon", a nominally-legal organization that belongs to one of the adult dragons in the area.

And Juno's father did his research when the party first showed up, and sends a letter to the Order with a "dinner invitation" for their agent (i.e. suspicious kobold), phrased in terms that leave it unclear if he is being invited to dinner... or to be dinner.

The party's wizard, thinking he's helping, intercepts the letter, lifting it off the messenger without the messenger being any the wiser.

Which results in the messenger going "Didn't I have a letter for the Order? Oh, it vanished. Well that's no good..."

Blame for this, of course, falls on the Order. Specifically, suspicious kobold.

That's about where the snowballing stopped, however, as the kobold (backed by the hydra who had enough int/wis to understand just how much of a mess has been generated) convinced the rest of the party to stop "helping".

And, armed with a letter from the Dragon saying "please don't eat this person", suspicious kobold had a nice talk with the Skolsens and is... not technically exiled, but strongly encouraged to leave the country.

Incoming next game session: The Dragon has a nice talk with the rest of the party, points out that they got one of her favorite agents exiled, and... encourages them to leave the country.

I could not have had this all work out better if it had been planned.

So they're going to get sent off with a quest to boot. Basically summed up as "We don't want this hydra here. Find somewhere else for her to be. Also, that thunderbird you found in stasis? We want it around here even less. We'll deal with talking to it and teleporting it, but you get to find a place for it, too."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Re: How my party got themselves exiled via ice cream.

Post by The Raven »

I must specify that despite being in this party, i had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Amazingly, the Raven's protestations are in this case accurate.

...Unless you count his OOC recruitment of said faerie dragon.
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

We would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that damn faerie dragon and some coffee ice cream!
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Wait, that was coffee ice cream? That explains so much! One should never caffeinate one's faerie dragon!