Server Upheaval

Discussion about random stuff. Keep it vaguely PG-13, please.
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Server Upheaval

Post by Benabik »

I'm in the process of updating the server. In theory there should be no interruptions in service.

Q: What's the difference between theory and practice?
A: In theory, there is no difference.
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Re: Server Upheaval

Post by Benabik »

Greetings users!

A new server has been prepared and is currently accessible at http://new.silverinsanity.com/.

Note that the forums there are not currently active. I only want one forum to be available at a time. This weekend I will do the grand move. The process will look something like this:
  • Disable the current forum.
  • Copy posts to the new forum.
  • Enable the new forum.
  • Change silverinsanity.com to the new server
This should be a mostly seamless process, with one exception: for a while some people will see silverinsanity.com as the old server and some will see the new. This is one reason why only one forum will be active at a time, so no posts can be lost. If you do end up seeing the old site after the move has started there will either be a link to the new site or it will redirect you automatically.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Re: Server Upheaval

Post by Benabik »

Welcome to the new forums! If you're still seeing the old server at silverinsanity.com, then you should be automatically redirected here to the new forums. You may notice a few differences to the forums, as I've updated to the latest phpBB.