Obfuscate rule

Discussion about the game: rules, character descriptions, questions, etc
AWC
Needs a Guide

Obfuscate rule

Post by AWC »

Version 1

So I have been giving it some thought and I have a strange rule I am thinking of using. Feel free to give input.
So the person obfuscating pulls Wits+stealth+obfuscate.

Counter Pull
Anyone watching gets a BP+Resolve pull. (reasoning is its a mental power, The BP bonus replaces the penalty for number of people watching)

If they have auspex they get BP+Resolve+Auspex (having Auspex makes seeing through obfuscate easier)

If they have heightened senses active when the target vanishes its BP+Resolve+Investigation+Auspex pull. (Having Heightened senses active makes it even easier)

Person obfuscating losses on ties. Once obfuscated auspex is required to see through the obfuscate.

This is not the final rules just my current thoughts and open to opinions.

Version 2
Obfuscate pull vs BP+Resolve+Auspex. Counts as a mental power and does not matter if the person saw you obfuscate or not. Auspex bonus is given and heightened senses not required.

Version 3
Obfuscater pull vs BP+Resolve pull or wits+Inv+auspex when Heightened senses is active which ever is higher.

In each version the obfuscated person pulls and keeps that success until obfuscate is broken. Repeatedly obfuscating and pulling until you get a 10 or similiar is considered cheating.
duncan
Needs a Guide

Re: Obfuscate rule

Post by duncan »

Not sure, but aren't most powers just going to be "subtract out opponent's resistance pool"?
Becomes difficult in a crowd. Could do the initial vanish as a "normal" power where it's vs. highest resolve+BP (maybe plus auspex, but defender getting to add three stats is generally rare power), so you would pull Wits + Stealth + Obfuscate - (Resolve + BP). Then anyone with HS active could look around and pull their opposed pull (Wits + Stealth + Obfuscate vs Wits + Investigate + Auspex). It would have to be a separate pull for the obfuscater in this case because the first pull already had resistance.

I actually mostly like the system in the book once the actual stats are solidified and no longer unclear. Those without auspex get the basic chance to resist (which sucks, see ALL mental and social powers), and anyone with auspex can use it to get a "fair" challenge (equal number of stats adding in).
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

The base is counter pull stat + BP.

The 3 stats method is because the normal rule gives penalties on number of viewers.

I am most likely going to use

Version 3
Obfuscater pull vs BP+Resolve pull or wits+Inv+auspex when Heightened senses is active which ever is higher.

In each version the obfuscated person pulls and keeps that success until obfuscate is broken. Repeatedly obfuscating and pulling until you get a 10 or similiar is considered cheating.

For 2 reasons. Keeps the same mechanic every other power is using for mental or social defense against powers, which I objected to obfuscate being the only one that ignored it. Solves the issue of what happens with cross race uses. And keeps an advantage for having heightened senses.
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

Ah, I had misunderstood the base system. So, if pretty much everything is a counter-pull, then that works well for pretty much every power. So to vanish would be opposed Wits + Stealth + Obfuscate vs BP + Resolve OR Wits + Invest + Auspex depending on defender, and then you keep your successes for later (even if noone opposes you, you still draw) for future Auspex rolls. I assume that the penalty for observers becomes moot since the main "penalty" would be a pretty good chance someone will beat you. And vanishing in a friendly (or indifferent) crowd is actually easier to escape from one follower, than if the people weren't there (at least in my opinion).

Works for me. It's a good system for ongoing powers as well.
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

yes I believe you get it