Blood lines

Discussion about the game: rules, character descriptions, questions, etc
AWC
Needs a Guide

Blood lines

Post by AWC »

what blood lines to people want to be common. Post here and we will do a poll once we have a listed edited for no not ever you crazy psycho bloodlines.

Here is the list so far of what people want let me know if you want one not on the list.
Link to explanations
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkn ... e_Requiem)

Mehket
Khabit
Qedeshah (Healers and appropriate workers in speakeasys.)
Perhaps Morbus (since the Legion might remember their original purpose.)

Daeva
Setites (ported over as a blood line for daeva)
En
Anvari (Prohibition vs addiction)
Spina (Of the warrior bloodlines, these aren't as horribly broken as others.)

Gangrel
Larvae (Ancient mercs)
Shepherds (A fairly recent bloodline that certainly fits into a prohibition atmosphere.)

Nosferatu
Baddacelli or Noctuku (nice hidden vampire hunters)
Licinii (Seems an appropriate thing for a legion reawakening, also Ventrue)
The Cockscomb Society

Ventrue:
Bron (Holy grail + Romans = fun)
Sotoha (I love these guys.)
Malcovians

Universal
Sta au
Malcavia
Daemon Blacknight
Mostly Sane

Re: Blood lines

Post by Daemon Blacknight »

Khabit, Sta au, en. Setites ported from old world.

What can i say, i have a type.

The Mnemosyne Should probably be one of the mekhet bloodlines in the area to explain how the camarilla legion actually still remember what rome was like.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

BTW: http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkn ... e_Requiem) has an AFAIK complete list of bloodlines and where to find them.

Daeva
Anvari (Prohibition vs addiction)
Spina (Of the warrior bloodlines, these aren't as horribly broken as others.)

Gangrel
Larvae (Ancient mercs)
Shepherds (A fairly recent bloodline that certainly fits into a prohibition atmosphere.)

Mehket
Khaibit or Norvegi might be interesting IF the bloodline politics are actually used.
Qedeshah (Healers and appropriate workers in speakeasys.)
Perhaps Morbus (since the Legion might remember their original purpose.)

Nosferatu
Baddacelli or Noctuku (nice hidden vampire hunters)
NO: Azerkatil (Ihsan was a toned down example of this bloodline. Toned down!)

Ventrue:
Bron (Holy grail + Romans = fun)
Sotoha (I love these guys.)

I like Malcavia/Malcovians, but I don't think they fit the setting as it is currently described in my head. (The voices say not to use them.)
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

My biggest concern over limiting bloodlines is one of game balance. If Mekhet get cool bloodlines like the Khaibett and Norvegi, where they get a unique discipline and swap a discipline to boot, then so should the other clans, such as Nosferatu and Gangrel, who are almost completely stuck with their original discipline set. On top of that most Gangrel variants are Gangrel + common discipline (there's 2 Gangrel+Potence, 2 Gangrel+Obfsucate, and one Gangrel+Celerity that spring to mind). Beyond that, I like the idea of the bloodlines fitting the setting - a couple of Roman bloodlines "reborn" due to plot, with a mix of 20s-appropriate local bloodlines is a great idea. And if we're really limiting the bloodlines there's nothing that says we can't modify them slightly for game balance - Shepards, who watch over humanity - why wouldn't they trade Animalism for something like Dominate or Presence? That would be fairly on par with the Malkovians (which I very much like).

Duncan
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

One thing to notice is that most bloodlines that don't get "cool new powers" tend to have the nicer bloodline flaws as well as "cool new devotions".

Onto Norvegi: first, read Bloodworking, now read protean. Which would you rather have in-clan? Bloodworking is weaker than protean, especially if you have enough mentor to get the devotion that gives you armor. Plus, you don't have the issue that you're an inbred freak. (You did read the writeup right? Norvegi are a bloodline that stems from a single mortal family whose tree doesn't branch. The no fangs are seen as a sign of proof that whatever power exists hates them.) In most cases, you're better off learning protean 3 out of clan. (And it only costs 4 more xp.)

As for Khaibit: First, read the historical writeup. Notice they are mostly going to be used as enemies for when the Crone decide to attack the Legion in the city. Also notice that any PC Khaibit will either be a crone slave, or a crone slave who is fleeing his Master. Good luck with that. Had BtS continued, Sol would have likely had to deal with Sidewinder's Avis. Yes, the discipline is badass. Overall, we will likely regret choosing this as a common bloodline, but I won't object to it.

The two Gangrel bloodlines I mentioned:
Larvae aren't that cool. They are gangrel with celerity, and are a good solid "common enemy". They're basically Brujah, and are a quick excuse to get combat devotions if you're not Carthian.

Shepherds get obfuscate (yay!), but they also unlock the idea that you can use animalism on the "herd", so, in some ways they gain a variation of dominate. Also, take a look at "Circle the Wagons" when used with a small gang of organized criminals. They don't need to be modified, but one or two more devotions to round out the idea of using animalism on humans might be appropriate.

Plus Gangrel get Protean. One of the most powerful disciplines in the game, and the only power in ANY of the books that deals agg to anything at level 3. (Except maybe Geist, they freak me out.) For any of the bloodlines I mentioned (except Khaibit, Obten rules), would you rather have their bloodline discipline or protean?

Also keep in mind that the other bloodlines exist, they just aren't common, and you have to find an avis.
Daemon Blacknight
Mostly Sane

Post by Daemon Blacknight »

"Also notice that any PC Khaibit will either be a crone slave, or a crone slave who is fleeing his Master."

Keep in mind that back in roman times the khaibet had very different masters so any hold overs from then will cause a very interesting dichotomy.
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

mentioned
Khaibit
Coxcomb
a nos blood line with dominate (licini was recomended)
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

Bah, Protean is not that good. I actually think that Bloodworking is better than protean, you get armor (although it's kinda poor, but it's level 3), and agg at range. The blood stealing at grapple is nice, stacks well with other grapple maneuvers.
Some of the other bloodline powers are also very cool. Mostly Protean has two things I like, flying, and the abundance of shapeshifting combos (like the earth swim, protean armor, etc). But you could make variants for bloodlines as well. The actual levels of protean are crap other than being the fastest way to agg, and the fair escape power at 5 being better than most (other than Presence 5 which is abusive). Hmm.. and compared to other powers the rules for protean are simple which is a plus. I hate trying to remember the dice pools for 5 different powers e.g. Dominate, Presence, Nighmare...
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

by the way duncan we are also not limiting blood lines in the long run. Many blood lines will be around. these are just the ones that are common enough that you can just assume your sire was one. If you want on that doesn't end up being common you just have to get avised which means clearing with us that it will exist at creation and making a character that they would approve of. Plus many of the major npc's may be other blood lines.
Jon
Mostly Sane

Post by Jon »

Deva:
Anvari
Zelani

Gangrel:
Larvae
Taifa

Mekhet:
Bak-Ra