New Game Notes (Rules)

Discussion about the game: rules, character descriptions, questions, etc
Joshua
Gibbering

New Game Notes (Rules)

Post by Joshua »

From yesterdays discussion.

1) People seem overwhelmingly in favor of "giant chunk of XP" vs "so many dots" in character creation. While I'm not a big proponent of this for tabletop games, it certainly makes sense for LARP.

This would give starting PCs a base 1 in all 9 attributes, then 300 or so XP. Jon said he would do the math.

I only had one question about this method, and that's how to work the favored attribute from the vampire template. My thought is you'd get 20 or so XP that had to be spent on those two attributes. This covers what happens if you get embraced in game, and for standard creation, it means only that those two attributes need to either both be 2 or one has to be 3. (not that people would really care about that, but I like the favored attribute aspect.)

The other issue I (personally) wanted to mention, was I do like the 3 free specializations. I find that they force you to think about the character. But that last bit is my opinion.

2) Another general consensus was the removal of trading Humanity for XP. This would be replaced by 2 groups of 5 xp that you had to give to two other players.

My thought is you could only give them to other characters that you had ties to in game, be it allies or enemies. The thought is to give an incentive to make players have ties to each other.

3) Aaron wanted to unify the resistance rules. I think it was make them all opposed pulls (stat + bp) or all Stat+att+disc-resistance-bp I wasn't sure where we ended up on that.

4) Last, 2 proposed changes to Nightmare.
Nightmare 1 would only cause you to flee for rounds = to successes and you do not have to stay away for the rest of the scene. When you achieve Nightmare 3, the "away for the scene" is restored.
Nightmare 2, per how it is in BtS, does not require concentration (but still hits your allies).
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: New Game Notes (Rules)

Post by Joshua »

5) Staking is "way to f-cking easy". The current thought is: "If you do enough damage to kill your opponent without the damage cap they are staked." This means that staking is easiest to do as a coup de grass. But also means that if your opponent has 7 health levels, and you pull a 34, you stake them. (A 34 is 7 successes currently, but normally you'd hit the damage cap of 5 for damage.)

6) various changes to invictus blood oaths to make them more common, but less overpowered.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

7) Legion are a playable covenant. They normally get Fighting Style, Resources, Mentor and Retainer for half cost.

8) It was proposed we replace the Invictus discount on Retainers with a discount on non-Vampiric Status, with something similar happening to Legion, (perhaps allies?).
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

Moved to its own post to be easier to find
Last edited by AWC on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
Kyle Morris
Mostly Sane

Post by Kyle Morris »

Are we allowed to purchase Coils of the Dragon, Cruac, or Theban Sorcery at Creation?
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

I fixed it so it is more clear check back as it is getting slightly edited as errors are found.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Are we keeping the coils as separate disciplines?
AWC
Needs a Guide

Post by AWC »

Yes each coil is a separate discipline.
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

From armory reloaded

Staking
Dice Pool: Strength + Weaponry + Equipment. If the vampire is conscious and not completely immobilized,
the vampire’s Defense is applied.
Action: Extended (one success per Health dot the vampire possesses, each roll represents one turn)
Despite what movies might tell you, the human ribcage is specifically designed to protect the internal organs
from injury, and it does a great job of that. It’s almost impossible to drive a piece of sharpened wood through
it without a good, heavy mallet and some time. Because of the time and effort required, this is a tactic
best employed while the vampire sleeps during the day. If the vampire is asleep, it may roll to wake up as
described on p. 184 of Vampire:The Requiem every turn. [It might be worth mentioning somewhere that
really, staking vampires is something done by shoving a stake up under the center of the ribcage/breastbone,
not through it.]
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The wooden stake splinters and becomes useless. If the character has a spare, he may
begin again, but loses any accumulated successes. Alternately, at the Storyteller’s discretion, if the vampire is
asleep during the staking, it automatically wakes and can remain active for one turn per point of Humanity.
Failure: No progress is made toward piercing the heart.
Success: Each success inflicts one point of lethal damage to the vampire. This damage may be reduced by armor
or supernatural powers, but such damage reduction doesn’t affect progress toward completing the action. Once
a number of successes equal to the vampire’s Health have been accumulated, the vampire is staked.
Exceptional Success: No effect other than making tremendous progress toward piercing the heart.
Suggested Equipment: Homemade wooden stake (+1), fire-hardened hardwood stake (+2), mallet (+2)
Possible Penalties: Vampire is (or was) a loved one (–1 to –3), crude or makeshift stake, such as a broken
chair leg (–1), no mallet or similar tool to drive the stake home (–2).
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

I like this sidebar, and it would indicate that armor, while defending against damage, would not reduce staking successes. Also that exceptional successes (or in LARP success over damage cap) would accumulate staking successes but not damage.

Duncan