I'm reading

Meta is a story series inspired by a number of different places. It’s about a furry magical academy, and one student learning his place there.

Moderator: Joshua

Eseme
Needs a Guide

Re: I'm reading

Post by Eseme »

I liked meeting the other students. You've got good variety there, in terms of powers and species and background stories.

But argh! Cliffhanger! See, if I just waited til Saturday to read, I'd have only one day of suspense.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 18 is a good history. I think the students' reactions make it a good read. It's also a compelling history that makes sense.

As for No Magic, I think it's there to give more examples of the student's personalities. Mark stands out, of course. And Julius. Knowing who the bullies are is good. Finding out more about how magic works and the different realms is good too. You've also added more depth to Chris too.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

I've been reading for a bit - messages and reactions went to you privately.

Chapter 23!

OK, Dwaine makes me laugh. If you ever need light humor, he's your crow. Love him.

Again, I like getting to know the various students. Different personalities are interesting, and different magics.

Mark is still annoying. He's always going to be annoying.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 25

Gaming! Sweet. I made some suggestions on the typo thread for how to make this a bit clearer to non-gamers. Still, I really like the gaming club atmosphere, and the hobs. How handy to know which game you'll like!

Chapter 26:

I like getting more history, and learning that levels can mean more than one thing. I like the idea of the students getting to choose their futures.

Chapter 27:

Gee, I'm totally shocked! Well, not terribly. Mark is a jerk, and he did touch Alden just before the rabbit started attacking Jove. Good cliffhanger there. Good thing I am a bit behind and don't have to wait for the next chapter.

Chapter 28:

OK, this one was pretty awesome. I can totally see Jove over-reacting to magic when he's in a room full of it, and magic was a threat just moments earlier. Well done. Also, I want to know if Mark was really a Vorax or if he too was under a spell or thralled.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Ah ha, someone found out about Aether!

By the way "Ten more bones to go!" is CREEPY. Ick.

Porr Mark! Now he's got a reputation as a jerk. And everyone thinks Jove is a Revoker. Man, rumors suck.

One thing to watch out for here - one person in the school was possessed by a Vorax. And he put spells on a number of other students. While this makes for an exciting opening, it's not a situation you want to come up too often, otherwise the administration that runs the school and the professors look like fools for not seeing it. You don't want the people who run the premier university in the land to look like they cannot provide security.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 30:

Someone else nearly killing Jove. This seems to happen a lot. I like this "Jove manipulates magic like it is an element" theory better than the "Jove is a Revoker" theory.

Chapter 31:

Tan geeking about Merlin was amusing. Not really sure what Jove was doing at the beginning of the chapter, but I imagine it will be explained later. I'm glad he's making more friends.

Aeon 1:

The title helps, but it might be worth it to have a small paragraph, possibly in italics, that describes Jove activating the rune in Aether and possibly some sort of logo for Aeon appearing.

Otherwise, my bet is that Jove's dad writes this.

Chapter 32:

Ba ha ha, the Vorax really do want to eat everyone!

Poor Mark. Man, he had a worse week than Jove. I didn't think that was possible.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Bah ha ha, love triangles! Everyone seems big on those.

I'm liking the different reactions in the Abyss in Chapter 33. That's cool, and realistic. Not surprised that Rai turned up. He does that.

Also, Jove getting more protectors is hilarious.

And then the plot thickens! We've got a reasonably smart bad guy here. He's faked his own death at least once, and he came up with a reasonably smart plan. The whole thing would have worked if he'd talked less and just attacked Jove. His two failures seem to be not acting fast enough, and assuming that no one else would have magic (and really darn near no one else did - just Chris and possibly Jove, although the second is just hinted at).
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 35

I'm totally confused. How can Merlin not be the one that possessed Mark? He just complained about someone breaking his neck. That is what Jove did to the mage possessing Mark. So very lost.

Chapter 36

Ah, dream sequences. You like them, don't you. This one worked for me, other than Jove running on all fours. I'm not sure what you meant by that. Why do it?

Otherwise, good stuff.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Chapter 35: That's a hard one, I'll try to catch you about it online. Part of the issue is that that event is a ... I think tripple fake (definitely a double fake) by the Vorax. Maybe I just need to present the ideas as more of a possibility, or have less speculation and let the pov characters make the wrong conclusion. Do other readers have any opinions?
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 37

Wow, awkwardness. It fits. College students.

Tan's panic made sense too.

Chapter 38

And MORE awkwardness. Man, does everyone have a crush on Jove? Or is that their magic?

I like Elsa. She seems at lot more grounded than everyone else.