Typos and Errors

Meta is a story series inspired by a number of different places. It’s about a furry magical academy, and one student learning his place there.

Moderator: Joshua

Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Typos and Errors

Post by Joshua »

setup.exe is also how you set default options on a program. Bwahahaaa!!! Anyhow, thanks. Those are those little mistakes that most people don't notice, and I didn't know I was doing wrong.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

*grins* Yay, programming!

Yeah, I notice little things. Sometimes, it is a curse!

Chapter 17:

“I’m Kate, er, Catherine, Air Praeda.” He thought a moment, “I prefer Kate, and I’m hoping to be a healer. I was planning on going into pre-med before I burst.” She bowed a little, and sat.
SHE thought for a moment.

Hypatia said, “There’s a lot of different opportunities for a mage in this world.
There ARE a lot of opportunities. Plural noun should match the verb.

The female frog stood next. She walked over to else and put a hand on her shoulder.
Elsa needs to be capitalized and spelled correctly.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 19:

Then he remembered that if he just stayed calm, it would be alright.
It would be all right.

You might wonder why I’m not grouping you into similar skill levels.” He eyes the class, then smiled,
He eyeD the class, then smiled.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 23:

Dwaine is spelled Dwaine and Duane. Which is it?

“This is amazing.” Dwaine walked in without hesitation, stepping onto a few stairs that lead down to a large landing were most of the rest of class were already.

The past tense of "to lead" is led.

“Gestures is the art of using your body to mold magic.

Gestures ARE (if plural) or Gesture IS (if singular)

Hypatia spoke up, “Mark!” She sighed, “While it is rare, there have been a number of cases where a mages first spell has been crafting.

A mage's first spell (possessive)

Duane blushed and nodded. “That makes me happy to know.” He walked out of the center of the group. “Is is okay Duane does not demonstrate brewing a poison?

You need a closing quote there

Anything can be accomplished with a ritual. From sealing a persons magic, to possession, or creating this room. Has anyone had a burst that involved knowing?”

Stealing a person's magic (possessive)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Duane is not contained by your single-spelling name elitism. Duane is free to spell his name as he chooses. The narrator however, has picked one.

"The art of gesture" vs "The art of gestures" I guess the singular is correct, but it feels a bit more awkward. ^_^
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Bah ha ha, Duane rocks! Just saying.

Chapter 25:

Jove coughed and changed the subject, “So, what kind of games do mages play?”

You may want to change that to "What kind of role-playing games do mages play?" to make it clearer to non-gamers what you are talking about. Also, you may want to link to the HDL site at the end, as even most gamers have not heard of that one.

“It was nice to meet you Jove.” Carole said, “Please, talk a little bit, we usually don’t start the games until 8 anyway.”

Isn' it "8:00"? Unless you mean something like eighth hour or something, in which case you want to say that.

Chapter 26:

“I doubt that. Still, Praeda and Venator are complicated concepts. Ones that we don’t full y understand.”

Fully - remove the space in the middle of it.

“As I mentioned on Monday, a mage can change their primary element through study of another. It doesn’t happen that much, but all it takes it sufficient study.”

All it takes IS sufficient study

Chapter 27:

Julius said, “Hey, Jove. You’re with me.” The bear’s tone was insistent, and reminded jove of when they first met.

Capitalize the second "Jove".

Chapter 28:

Mark pulled a few small blades of grass out of his short’s pocket.

I think that would be "shorts' pocket" since shorts is the word that is being made possessive. Still, it looks awkward either way. I've always read "the pocket of his shorts".

“He abyss jumped.” “What if he comes over here?” “Did he just snap a spells neck?”

A spell's neck, possesive.

The change in his life made it even harder to tell if anything was left.

I can't tell what you mean here. Do you mean "harder to tell if any magic was left?" If so, use those words to clarify.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 31:

He opened Aether to the listing of magic uses from yesterday.

I would change the tense, to "He opened Aether to the listing of magic uses from the previous day."

Aeon 1:

James tore the feeder sheets from the printer. “The program screws up one out of ever six accounts.

One out of everY six accounts.

Chapter 32:

“You’re probably heard the term outburst already.” Hypatia explained, “That’s when a ...

You'VE probably heard...
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 33:

Not unexpected, Chris showed no sign of reaction or discomfort.

I think that should be "not unexpectedly"

Chapter 34:

The walls seemed to buckle inward in odd shapes, waves of stone where strait stones used to be.

Where STRAIGHT stones used to be.

The fox smiled, “I suppose you don’t remember, and in your Abyss, your magic can’t tell you.

Isn't it "in THE Abyss, your magic can't..."? I mean, South does not own the Abyss, it is not his.

Magus Frost waded into the pond. She took South’s hand and the both vanished.

TheY both vanished.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

My Y key sticks a little... so that's one reason you're seeing so many the/they errors. Thanks for catching them.
Eseme
Needs a Guide

Post by Eseme »

Chapter 35

“He’d dead. You killed him.” South was pale and shaking.

He'S dead.

“They’re probably forbid students from entering the Abyss for the Summer.

They'LL probably...

Chapter 36

“You already know the answer to that, silly fox.” Jove magic started to follow a scent.

Jove'S magic